Where SQL Server properties are stored? | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Where SQL Server properties are stored?

I mean which file or table contain info about sql server settings like name ,operating system,languege etc…
look into xp_msver. This gives plenty of information. Else you’ll have to peep into registry. HTH. Gaurav
Man thrives, oddly enough, only in the presence of a challenging environment- L. Ron Hubbard

I think in SYSSERVERS and SPT_VALUES system tables.
You may check under BOL for system tables topic. _________
Satya SKJ
SQL-Server-Performance.Com

XP_MSVER uses the XPSQL70.DLL file, so you haven’t got much details with the file. BTW NB, why would you require those detail? _________
Satya SKJ

we use snapshot backup software wich replicate everything to standby server.
And everything looks fine the only problem is sql server settings :it ‘s not replicated
so we are looking for file with contain this info to be replicated as well

As Gaurav referred you can check the server information with that XP and if you’re unsure something is missing check that app.log for any information. _________
Satya SKJ

this xp just return server serting info
it uses dll for returning i need the actual file wich will contain this info registry might contain this info but i do not know which exactly key
You have set of registry keys, one of them is [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersion] where it conveys the current version of OS. So you need to go thru each and every key in the registry for required information.
I used to have such information about SQL registry, will post if I get in hand. _________
Satya SKJ

If reading the registry does not look like a near solution, I would recommend using WIn 32 APIs for the same. You can write a small program using VC++ or VB for the same. Gaurav
Man thrives, oddly enough, only in the presence of a challenging environment- L. Ron Hubbard

So i made a conclusion for myself
that sql server properties are all located in Registry (and not nessasaraly under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft
SQL Server ) on a local box.
and stored procedure exec xp_msver using dll go and search registry for that values.
Am i right?
Yes, but may not be necessarily accessing registry always and as mentioned above it will look under system tables defined. If you want more details in this regard, I would suggest to contact/email MS support for more information. _________
Satya SKJ

Registry is read most of the time when the system is started and so if there have been some changes in the registry since the system was started, the same may not be reflected in SQL Server tables. Gaurav

but for example sysconfigures contain default language
is that being kept in registry as well?Or this one just in master db?
I think they’ll be in the master database only. Gaurav

thank you all
In any case replicating these settings by copying tables or files or registry keys is not likely to give you a stable system… A more robust approach might be to have a operational process in place where any server setting change is done on both systems. This should be a relatively rare occurrence (hopefully?) Cheers
Twan
I realize it :i will just make sure that all property much
thank you
]]>