which protocol should be first | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

which protocol should be first

Hi !
If i check Server Network Utility some servers have Named Pipes on firs place ,some
have TCPIP on first.
I thought that all off them should be configured to have TCPIP protocol goes first.
Is there any reason for Named pipes to stay first?
Is it dangerous for production to change it at the middle of the day?
From the point of workstations view, in my experience, I see no problema at all having Named Pipes on first place or TCPIP.
The only case I have problem was with profiler, and really I d´nt know why.
Good oportunity to get feedback from others. Luis Martin
I think from SQL 7 onwards Named pipes is default marked and it depends how your clients interact with the server. In general TCP/IP is easy and quickest protocol to connect as compared to others.
If you change the default protocol on server side make sure, all the clients do have similar protocol enabled and used while connecting to the server. No need to restart any services though, but better to avoid during middle-of the day on a production environment until you tested it thorougly. _________
Satya SKJ
SQL-Server-Performance.Com

I completely agree with Satya’s comments. Gaurav
Man thrives, oddly enough, only in the presence of a challenging environment- L. Ron Hubbard

Interesting MSDN articlehttp://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/optimsql/odp_tun_1a_7fcj.asp for a reference. _________
Satya SKJ
SQL-Server-Performance.Com

Thank you
]]>