Why differential backup can not complete? | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Why differential backup can not complete?

When I perform the statement following: backup database smt to disk=’d:smt_diff.bak’ with DIFFERENTIAL
at last following messages show:
Server: Msg 3202, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
Write on ‘d:smt_diff.bak’ failed, status = 2. See the SQL Server error log for more details.
Server: Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.
Why???Somebody can help me!
any suggestion is appreciated!
Thanks! By the way, the disk have enough free space!
addition,the following message are recorded in sql server event log BackupMedium::ReportIoError: write failure on backup device ‘d:smt_diff.bak’ . Operating system error 2(The system cannot find the file specified.). Internal I/O request 0x06246CE8: Op: Write, pBuffer: 0x08510000, Size: 983040, Position: 11671040, UMS: Internal: 0x103, InternalHigh: 0x0, Offset: 0xB21600, OffsetHigh: 0x0, m_buf: 0x08510000, m_len: 983040, m_actualBytes: 0, m_errcode: 2, BackupFile: d:smt_diff.bak. But the full backup and transaction log backup on the database(smt) is ok!Why??
Also,other databases on this server are all ok(all kinds of backup can perform well)!
addition,the following message are recorded in sql server event log BackupMedium::ReportIoError: write failure on backup device ‘d:smt_diff.bak’ . Operating system error 2(The system cannot find the file specified.). Internal I/O request 0x06246CE8: Op: Write, pBuffer: 0x08510000, Size: 983040, Position: 11671040, UMS: Internal: 0x103, InternalHigh: 0x0, Offset: 0xB21600, OffsetHigh: 0x0, m_buf: 0x08510000, m_len: 983040, m_actualBytes: 0, m_errcode: 2, BackupFile: d:smt_diff.bak. But the full backup and transaction log backup on the database(smt) is ok!Why??
Also,other databases on this server are all ok(all kinds of backup can perform well)!
Ensure the SQLAgent account used to perform the backup has required privileges to complete the task. Also check the SQL is patched upto the levels of service packs and no issues reported on operating system by referring to event viewer. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
Are all the backups writing to this same array? Have you ran a DBCC CHECKDB on this particular database? What’s the size of this database compared to the others? Look at the sysprocesses table next time this runs and see how many threads are being taken up by the backup. At the same time, look at performance monitor to see what your disk queue lengths, paging file, and memory counters look like. MeanOldDBA
[email protected] When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
]]>