Win2k3 connection problems | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

Win2k3 connection problems

I’ve just dropped a new Windows 2003 SP1 server with SQL Server 2000 SP4 in my hosted center. That server replaces an older Windows 2000 based server running SQL Server 2000 SP3. I have a firewall-firewall VPN setup between my office network and the data centre. I also have two seperate domains setup, one for the office and one for the data centre. The problem is, I can’t seem to be able to connect to the new database server the same way I used to with the Windows 2000 server. Both servers are in the same rack right now, and I can access the DB on the old machine no problem. I suspect tighten security settings on the Windows 2003 server is giving me grief, but what? TCP/IP connection just doesn’t work on the new server. I can only connect with named pipes, but it’s a bit of a process. I can still connect on the old server with either TCP/IP or named pipe. Here are the steps that I discovered allowed me to connect to the new DB server:
1. Open the Client Network Utility and create an alias for the server for the Named Pipes network library.
2. Open windows explorer.
3. In the address bar, try to browse the c: drive of the server with this: \newdbserverc$
4. A dialog box will pop up asking for a user namepassword. Put in the username preceded with the domain name (domainusername) and the password.
5. Once you can view the C: drive, open query analyzer and connect to the database. If I don’t follow the steps above, I either get the dreaded Msg 18452 [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Login failed for user ‘(null)#%92. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server. Can anybody explain what is going on? What changes in Windows 2003 SP1 is causing this? Or is it in the latest SQL SP? Thanks, Francois

Ensure similar levels of network protocols are enabled on SQL server too by referring to Server network utility.
If you;ve enabled multi-protocol as well then disable it as this error will occur in similar situation. Satya SKJ
http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
]]>