XML and SQL 7.0 | SQL Server Performance Forums

SQL Server Performance Forum – Threads Archive

XML and SQL 7.0

I am currently looking at using XML in one of the projects I am working on for my current client. My client uses SQL Server 7.0 and has no immediate plans to migrate to SQL Server 2000. The front-end of this project is written in ASP and uses ADO to connect to SQL. At the moment I am doing some proof of concept work, and my client seems happy with the results and wants to explore XML further. My proof of concept code involves writing stored procedures that build up strings containing XML, but this would not really be workable in the final solution. Are there any tools available that I can use which will help out here? Can I get something which will let SQL return valid XML, should I convert to XML in ASP or can I trick ADO into producing XML? I recall seeing some XML tools (possibly beta versions) released by Microsoft for SQL Server 7.0 but have had no luck tracking down any information on them recently. Does anyone have any information of ideas on how I can get (valid) XML out of SQL 7.0?

You can use client side XML so that the SQLOLEDB provider will only send the exec procedure to the server. This can get it worked using .NET with XML. However, using third party application there are solutions to providing the same kind of support
refer to this linkhttp://www.xdac.net/] to find out more. HTH Satya SKJ

In your post you say ADO, so I am assuming you cannot use .NET. If you can use .NET, there are a world of options. If you are using ADO, I believe the ADO recordset object has the ability to give you XML data, but I’m not sure which version of MDAC it would be. Get the latest and you should be covered.
"How do you expect to beat me when I am forever?"
Valid point by Royv, get MDAC 2.7 which is the latest and get related SPs too. Satya SKJ

Thanks guys. I’ve had a loot at ADO’s XML and it seems as if it will almost work for what I am after. We have ADO 2.6 which will let you persist XML to a file or a stream, so that should be easy. The format of the XML file is not what I would like, but a simple transformation will produce something workable.

]]>