Optimizing Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services: Performance and Access Reports from the Execution Log
3. Click Report Manager to initialize the application.
NOTE: If Report Manager does not appear in the manner shown, whether because you declined setup of the program group, a disablement of the feature, or other, unknown reason, simply get there by typing the appropriate URL into the address bar of your web browser. The default URL is as follows:
As an example, my <webservername> would be MOTHER1, the name of my server, and would appear, in this approach, in my browser Address line as shown in Figure 7.
Figure 7: Navigate to Report Manager … Alternative Route
We arrive at the Report Manager Folder View. Let’s create a new folder, within which we can isolate the reports we will be uploading.
4. Click New Folder.
The New Folder page appears.
5. Type the following into the Name box:
Execution Log Reports
6. Type the following into the Description box:
Performance & Auditing Reports based upon the Report Server Execution Log
With our input, the New Folder page appears as depicted in Figure 8.
Figure 8: The New Folder Page, with Input
7. Click OK.
We are returned to the Home page Folder View, and see our new folder appear on the Contents tab, as shown in Figure 9.
Figure 9: The Execution Log Reports Folder, on the Folder View – Contents Tab
8. Click the link for the new Execution Log Reports folder, to open it. We enter the Execution Log Reports folder, which is empty at present.
9. Click New Data Source atop the Folder View, as depicted in Figure 10.
Figure 10: Click New Data Source atop Report Manager Folder View
The New Data Source page appears.
10. Type the following into the Name box:
11. Type the following into the Description box:
Shared Data Source for Execution Log Reporting
12. Ensure that the checkbox to the left of Enable this data source is checked (the default).
13. Ensure that Microsoft SQL Server is selected in the Connection Type selector.
14. Type the following into the Connection String text box:
data source=”(local)”;persist security info=False;initial catalog=RSExecutionLog
15. Under Connect Using, select Windows NT Integrated Security.
NOTE: Adapt the Data Source and authentication settings to your own environment, as necessary (for example, if the RSExecutionLog database is on another server and access is being attempted across a network, etc.)Continues…