SQL Server Performance

2008 R2 Locks Up Server but VPN does not

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 General Developer Questions' started by jace808, Jan 20, 2011.

1. jace808 New Member

My work is in PA and I've been working from home on a project for some time now in GA. I've come in to my office where the server is located and at first I thought it was my VB.NET 2008 web application crashing my server, where the app resides, but I see now that even when VS 2008 is not loaded my server will lock up and have to be manually shut down.
    Interesting thing is, I can work via VPN in to our network then remote desktop in to the server and work on my project with no issues and have been for some time. Now that I'm at the server and don't have to contend with the slowness of VPN I can't do anything for long.
    I say it's not my VB.NET web application causing the problem, but I can be on the server working with other applications for a much longer period of time... hours. However, as soon as I bring up my project I've got maybe 5-15 minutes before the server freezes.
    Any ideas to why this is happening only when working directly on the server and not remotely? I have noticed that my SQL Server Agent will not run for more than a minute at a time. I have no jobs scheduled except for syspolicy_purge_history, but I have no idea what that is.
    This is the last error log after my last lock up:
    Date,Source,Severity,Step ID,Server,Job Name,Step Name,Notifications,Message,Duration,Sql Severity,Sql Message ID,Operator Emailed,Operator Net sent,Operator Paged,Retries Attempted
    01/20/2011 10:35:43,,Information,,,,,,[098] SQLServerAgent terminated (normally),,,,,,,
    01/20/2011 10:35:43,,Error,,,,,,[382] Logon to server '\<SERVER NAME>' failed (DisableAgentXPs),,,,,,,
    01/20/2011 10:35:43,,Error,,,,,,[298] SQLServer Error: 87<c/> A network-related or instance-specific error has occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. Server is not found or not accessible. Check if instance name is correct and if SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. For more information see SQL Server Books Online. [SQLSTATE 08001],,,,,,,
    01/20/2011 10:35:43,,Error,,,,,,[165] ODBC Error: 0<c/> Login timeout expired [SQLSTATE HYT00],,,,,,,
    01/20/2011 10:35:43,,Error,,,,,,[298] SQLServer Error: 87<c/> SQL Server Network Interfaces: Connection string is not valid [87]. [SQLSTATE 08001],,,,,,,
    01/20/2011 10:35:38,,Error,,,,,,[000] Unable to connect to server '\<SERVER NAME>'; SQLServerAgent cannot start,,,,,,,
    01/20/2011 10:35:11,,Information,,,,,,[131] SQLAgent$<DATABASE NAME> service stopping due to a stop request from a user<c/> process<c/> or the OS...,,,,,,,
  2. satya Moderator

Welcome to the forums.
    That is really strange to see the behaviour, but I would like to know the server configuration as you are directly logon to the server may be causing resource contention when using VB.NET development applications.
    Also try to start SQLAgent when you logon remotely using VPN.
  3. jace808 New Member

After further analysis of the logs I noticed that my computer name some how was trying to log on to our internal network which being a server does not have a login. :) I could not track down where this was happening at so I wiped the entire SQL server. I had an old lingering SQLEXPRESS instance, and still had the pre-R2 installed as well adding another instance. So I decided to kill 3 birds with one stone. It's painful stripping it down and building it back up but I didn't want more bugs popping up along the way. Being I'm only a month in to this project and it's "dirty" I decided to make it clean to ensure its integretiy down the road.
    I appreciate your help all the same.
    Regards,
    Jason
  4. satya Moderator

Jason
    Thats good to know that other instances (CTP) are causing such issues.
    In order to clean up everything and get the actual instance back you must ensure to backup the user databases, script logins and save SSIS packages as file source and then wipe out all the instnaces & reinstall back required instance.
  5. jace808 New Member

I'm just starting in to the world of web development using vb.net and sql server. I have lots of coding experiance so I'm moving through all this rather quickly, but in doing so I think I'm making mistakes in my trials that I don't realize are causing issues such as what I have done.
    I did back up the only important data I had which were my tables; the rest was irrelevant at this point. I had a very hard time removing everything and got some assistance from the Windows Cleaner app.
    During the time I was uninstalling, removing, editting registry settings, etc. last night I had no lock ups what so ever. This morning I opened VB.NET 2008 and bamn. Froze and had to manually reboot. I don't know if it was the ties in my project to SQL or that it truly is VS causing the issues so now I'm stripping VS out as well... I'm about ready to hand the desktop over to IT and tell them to reimage my desktop. :)
  6. satya Moderator

True in the sense the removal of services were not straight forward, but in order to ensure the reinstallation goes smoothly make sure you restart the server once all the apps are uninstalled.
  7. jace808 New Member

I'm at a loss. I completely removed everything SQL and removed VS. I even used CCleaner to get rid of bad registry entries. I rebooted several times through the course of the removal.
    I installed a fresh copy, I had used before, of R2 and kept getting an error that setup.rll was not found even though it was in a couple locations within the install folder. I was rushing to get on my train to the airport so I had to let it go and finish the install which it did. The only item not installed was the business intelligence piece. Being that everything else appeared installed, I continued and installed VS which went fine until the very last part of the install which hung. I had to leave and left it thinking it would complete. However now I cannot connect to the server by remote and can only assume what kind of installation I have on the server.
    I think at this point I'm just going to have someone manually reboot it for me this morning and get the files I zipped up to a safe place and call IT. :(
  8. satya Moderator

Seems you are a busy man [:)].
    Can you post the error you are referring, I guess it could be due to mismatched registry key. In general I wouldn't recommend CCleaner as it will do more harm than required.
  9. jace808 New Member

Had someone in the office get my machine back online and I'm able to get in and VS appears to be there but I haven't tried toying with anything in fear of it freezing and having to bother someone else to restart it again.
    This is a link that basically describes the SQL Server issue I had to a T. They also could not get the BIS installed and the error popped up 3 times during my install stating it could not find the setup.rll file. It looks to be a bug with Microsoft? http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLSer...server-2008-r2-setup-has-encountered-an-error
    I already submitted a ticket for IT to wipe the desktop which they said would be a couple days but I really need to continue my work on it. If I attempted to uninstall these wonderful MS products again how would you suggest I do it? I'll also just install SQL Server 2008 and think I will hold off on the R2 version as it seems to be a R2 bug related issue.
    Thanks for your help with this.
  10. satya Moderator

The best method to follow for install or uninstall, go through the route of CONTROL PANEL --> Programs (windows 2008) or Control Panel --> Add remove programs (windows 2003).
    If you attempt to uninstall or hack the registry using third party tools such as CCleaner it will corrupt the registry which causes install issues too, like the ones you are facing.
    In the past I had similar issue and root cause was the media that I'm using has few issues in copying all the files. So I recommend you do the same.