SQL Server Performance

A World without Internet

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Jan 2, 2009.

1. shanetasker New Member

I have spent the last two weeks travelling around Vietnam and found it to be an eye-opening experience. One of the things it has made me more aware of is the challenges that developing nations face when compared to life at home. I am writing this article from the QANTAS Club in Singapore and it is amazing the difference between these two countries that are separated by only a 90-minute flight.
    The definition of a third-world country is a nation that is underdeveloped in terms of their economy or level of industrialization, globalization, standard of living, health, or education. However, I think that the definition should be extended to cover access to the Internet, as the Internet has become a key resource for the advancement of a country. Although Vietnam is not classified as a third-world country, what I found interesting while I was travelling through Vietnam was that free Wi-Fi access was more accessible then in my home town of Brisbane in Australia. Is your city third world like or does it have ready access to free Internet.
    - Peter Ward
  2. JJeffreySchwartz New Member

Free WiFi works against a developed nation - ALL developed nations have internet access that is PAID for - and giving it away - is a costly adventure!! I live in Atlanta - and free WiFi is fairly easy to find - the airport is a free zone and now - even the local Taco Bells and McDOnalds offer free WiFi. (If I even need internet access at McDonalds or Taco Bell - please shoot me in the head!!:)) I think/hope/pray that one day free WiFi goes away!! How about ONE monthly charge - from ONE company - for free access to the internet - anywhere on earth????? We will not get there for FREE - who will do the maintenance, new installs, accident cleanup? PLEASE DO NOT say the government – you DO NOT want them on your WiFi!!!!