SQL Server Performance

Access data base to SQL Server managment

Discussion in 'General DBA Questions' started by BoSCHoW, Dec 15, 2006.

1. BoSCHoW New Member

Hi all,

I have a data base made in MS access and i wanted to know if it is possible to import it into MS SQL server management. If it is possible could somebody write an example, from which i can learn how do i do that?

Thank you for your time and help
    Best regards,
    BoSCHoW.
  2. danny123 New Member

You can use DTS and get all your data from MS Access to sql server. IN the Souse select MS Access and in destination You can select SQL Server.

support.microsoft.com/kb/314546

Thanks
    Danny
  3. MohammedU New Member

4. BoSCHoW New Member

Thank you guys i really aprishiate your help.
  5. MohammedU New Member

Post your comments after migration...
    what method did you follow and what were the difficulties you guys facee during migration so that it will help others...

Mohammed U.
  6. BoSCHoW New Member

Hi,
    first i tryed to make the migration myself, according to you posts, but is seems that i don't have all the neccessary tools to do it. So i searched the microsoft page for addicional help and i found a program that can do the migration perfectly and easyly, all you have to do is to follow the its wizard instructions. The page is:http://www.microsoft.com/sql/solutions/migration/default.mspx

Now i want to ask you the following question if it is possible to monitor values, from lets say a kontroller with the SQL server that has the database of the controller parameters. I want to show this parameter values in excell ... In short i want to make a SCADA "supervision system" that can show values with excell.

Thanks for your time and help.
    Best regards
    Bostjan.
  7. satya Moderator

SSMA (SQL Server Migration Assistant) is the latest wizard you can work with in this case, but as in normal you cannot expect 100% increase in performance when you've migrated from MS Access to SQL Server (as it is a general assumption by the users). You have to optimize the queries in order to get sensible performance and refer through the articles in thsi website fine tuning the SQL Server configuration, database etc. after the migration.

Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Contributing Editor & Forums Moderator
    http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
    This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.