SQL Server Performance

Access to SQL Server

Discussion in 'General Developer Questions' started by praveenvvn, Mar 8, 2004.

  1. praveenvvn New Member

    Hi, The setup I have is an alias created using the Client Network Utility on my workstation and then a registration created using Enterprise Manager to the SQL Server located on a different machine. Whenever I connect, it works fine.

    I recently changed my workstations password, and that's it, the connection to the SQL Server is not happening at all. I constantly get an error as below:

    Server: Msg 17, Level 16, State 1
    [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Named Pipes]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

    Any help regarding this will be much appreciated.

    TIA
    Praveen
  2. satya Moderator

    Can you ping the server with Ip address & as well as with name?
    Ensure the netlib protocols are similar between server and your workstation.
    And also the login does have necessary permissions to access the server.



    Satya SKJ
    Moderator
    http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
    This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
  3. Argyle New Member

    Yes switch to TCP/IP as network library instead of Named Pipes as you use now. Also try to telnet to the sql server port. Example:

    telnet 11.22.33.44 1433

    You can verify which port sql server use by looking in the sql server logs to see what it binds to during startup or you can see it in the SQL Network Utility.
  4. praveenvvn New Member

    Thanks for the help.

    I tried giving the IP address in the alias instead of the server name and it started working. Further I deleted the alias and recreated using the server name and it still works. Does this mean that my workstation temporarily stopped recognizing the server and once it saw the IP, it could connect again.

    Is there some funda which I need to understand here...Satya, Argyle do you mind throwing some light on this!!

    TIA
    Praveen
  5. satya Moderator

    The MDAC 2.6 version of the SQL Server Network Library, Dbnetlib.dll, attempts to determine the host name of the IP address using a reverse lookup. If the client computer has a slow Domain Naming Service (DNS) server, or no DNS server, and the local HOSTS or LMHOSTS file on the computer does not contain the host name for the IP address of the SQL Server, the reverse lookup will time out after five seconds.

    The HOSTS or LMHOSTS file belongs in the System32DriversEtc directory for client computers running Microsoft Windows NT and Microsoft Windows 2000, or in the Windows directory for clients running Microsoft Windows ME, Microsoft Windows 98, or Microsoft Windows 95.



    Satya SKJ
    Moderator
    http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
    This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
  6. gaurav_bindlish New Member

    Would deleting the registration and adding it (with the new password) helped?

    Gaurav
    Moderator
    Man thrives, oddly enough, only in the presence of a challenging environment- L. Ron Hubbard
  7. satya Moderator

    I think the whole issue is due to name lookup on DNS from client to server, for the first with IP Address when it recognises then it keeps up the value and can be connected when used as servername.

    Satya SKJ
    Moderator
    http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
    This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
  8. tdong New Member

    I used to have the same problem when setting up the server2003, sql2000 here is what I did. in the HOSTS file in System32DriversEtc you can add the ip address of the server
    example.

    ipofserver servername

    192.168.1.200 ServerName

    This would guarantee the lookup. I had this problem because of the way we set up our server. we have a router and all the computers including the server connect to it and server has static ip manually set. therefore there is no way that my computer in the network can ping the Domain Name because of the DNS lookup. what I did was edit all the hosts file for all the computers and it solve the problem.

    May the best cheaters win

Share This Page