SQL Server Performance

active-passive two node network failure test

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Clustering' started by WingSzeto, Oct 28, 2008.

1. WingSzeto Member

In SQL 2005 clustering with windows 2003, say I have an active-passive two node setup, Node 1 has one NIC go to a public network switch 1 and another NIC go to a private network switch 2 (for heartbeat). Node 2 has one NIC go to the same public network switch 1 and another NIC go to switch 2. We don't have any network teaming or network load balance setup.
    When I unplugged the network cable from Node 1 to swtich 1, the cluster failed over to node 2 successfully. When I plugged the Node 1's network cable back to switch 1 and unplugged the network cable from Node 2 to switch 1, the cluster doesn't fail over from Node 2 to Node 1. Under active-passive clustering, should I expect the cluster fail over from node 2 to node 1 automatically? If it should, what's wrong? If it shouldn't, does it require some steps to make it fail over back like reboot or something?
    I posted this question in SQL 2008 group but not too many people are using SQL 2008 with windows 2008. I think this test should also apply to SQL 2005 and more people may have tested this in SQL 2005. I like to hear from someone who has tested this situation and what the expected failover behavior is.
    wingman
  2. MohammedU New Member

Is this issue belongs to WINDOWS 2003 or WINDOWS 2008?
    If it is windows 2008 then Qurum configuration/setup is diffent than in 2003.
  3. WingSzeto Member

I don't know because clustering is new to me. I set this up the first time in SQL 2008 following BOL and haven't done that in SQL 2005. But in any case, my point is that say using SQL 2005 and windows 2003 for example, if everything set up according to the recommeneded practice, what is the expected failover behavior when I disconnect the network cable in a active-passive two node cluster setup as described in my original email?