SQL Server Performance

Are there any flawsproblems in SQL2008 that you have come across till date

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 General DBA Questions' started by Ebenraja, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Ebenraja Member

All,
    I am in the process of submitting a request to my client to upgrade my SQL2000 to SQL2008 ,I want to know the list issuesproblems or flaws in SQL2008 that any of you would have incurred in recent times.
    Regards,
    Eben
  2. ndinakar Member

Are you gonna be using any new features?
  3. Ebenraja Member

Apart from Backup compression technique, which i am surely going to use i am still thinking of data collection and resorce governor avilability to go ahead with as it can be used for capacity planning etc...
    however i also need to know if it has flawas beforehand so as to keep myself ensured.
  4. WingSzeto Member

I upgarded from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005 32 two years ago, and then to SQL 2008 64 bit a month ago and our production system is working fine so far. My current platform is windows 2008 64 bits enterprise and SQL 2008 64 bit standard.
    It is hard to answer your question because it really depends on your code and your preparation, and features you are using in SQL server. I don't think there are many SQL 2008 production users out there yet. We use replication and clustering and don't use other features like reporting service and analysis service etc so I don't know how reliable they are. You can run the upgrade advisor and to pinpoint any potential incompatible codes and other issues if you haven't done so already. I think if you do your homework, it should be fine.
    Wingman
  5. satya Moderator

Why not try it yourself by installing the Enterprise Evaluation edition onto a Virtual PC VHD in order to find out what kind of features that you wanted to use and even test your application thorougly to ensure nothing is missed or working as expected.
    Always best to experience yourself to find out what exactly a product is worth for.
  6. Ebenraja Member

Thanks Satya and Wingman...
    Am not going to use reproting and analysis as well, I ran the advisor against and arrived ar some conclusions...
    I have one more query, we used a 3 rd party backup compression tool and right now 2008 has an inbuilt compression technique. Any idea whats the compression is about how much the data is shrinked as say if normally a backup file in 2000 is around 80 GB, if the same is run in 2008 how much the file would be..
    I dont have a test machine to test this..If any of you have done it let me know...
  7. WingSzeto Member

We are using SQL 2008 std edition so I can't use that built-in compression feature since it is only available in Enterprise edition (and developer version).
  8. moh_hassan20 New Member

There is a Cumulative update package 3 for SQL Server 2008

have a look : http://sql-server-performance.com/Community/forums/p/29291/155248.aspx
  9. Amarlai New Member

Great forum. many solution about sql server are available here .