SQL Server Performance

Building a Certified Database

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Aug 5, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

I am currently buying a new house and during our due diligence we found that the final building approvals for an extension that was put on the house were not fully approved. Hence, over the last few days I have learnt more about building codes and approvals then I ever wanted to know. My wife often comments that my construction skills are such that I do not know which end of a screwdriver is the correct one. However, with my newfound knowledge I am sure that I could almost construct a house. Well maybe not, but I certainly now what is involved to ensure that a house is approved by local government authorities.
    What I found interesting in the process is that an independent certifier is required to approve and warrant any work performed by a builder. In the database world this would be the equivalent of someone designing and implementing a database schema and then having an independent third-party review the work performed to ensure that it meets with all of the relevant standards. If the schema were not right the issues would then need to be rectified so that the schema meets the requirements before being deployed to production. Once the schema is approved by the certifier, the certifier warrants the work. Meaning that if there are any issues in the next six and half years with the schema the certifying body is responsible for fixing the defect. I am not sure how workable this is in the world of software but I am sure it would help ensure that any software meets a minimum standard.
    - Peter Ward
  2. alent1234 New Member

very big differencebuilding a home there is usually one way to do it right so that the work meets quality and safety standards. my mom bought a home that was builtby a company where my brother was the project manager for that home. he says it should last 30 years with proper maintenance which doesn't include cosmetic things like kitchen makeovers.how many databases will be around in 30 years? and in the world of software there is almost always 20 ways to do something where it will work just fine even if it's not ideally by the book because every situation is different
  3. unclebiguns New Member

I certainly think for commercial software this would be a good idea. You couldn't be too specific, but basics like every table has a primary key. No spaces in object names (I just had to deal with this one) and the like could be checked. Also in MS SQL Server something like making sure that any triggers can handle a multi-row action.
  4. imalkima New Member

The issue here is at the center of the software quality in general. Everybody knows that one database may support mutilple applications (clients). Everybody knows that the essense of business value is in business data stored in the database and not in the client applications which support often changing business processes. Properly designed database will reflect the relations between busines entities as the business nature dictates it. A conclusion is evident: the CORRECTLY designed database will support the multitude of clients' applications for a long period of time. Such database will be easy to migrate to a new or another one when it is needed.I work in IT of large enterprise where we could not and cannot conduct the development without database certification board. Whenever we did not do the review we got ourselves into trouble.I personally came to conclusion if we need to review a commercial software product, we just need to look into database schema to make judgement about the product quality.