SQL Server Performance

Cell Phone Dependency

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Feb 23, 2009.

1. shanetasker New Member

If you were to look at the adoption curve, you would see that I am sitting way out on the left, meaning that I am often prepared to put up with buggy software and other strange quirks all to try version one of a new product. I owned my first cell phone in 1993, back when they were still analogue and the size and weight was like carrying a house brick. I remember my backpack all of a sudden weighing twice as much, as there was no way that you could pop the phone in your pocket. Sixteen years later, cell phones are commonplace, and one almost expects everyone to have a cell phone.
    The problem is that access to a cell phone is a dependency that is very hard to replace. I remember in the days before cell phones when people would wait patiently to meet someone, as they had no way to contact them. Whereas meeting someone today is like landing an aircraft with messaging back and forth between two people as they approach the designated meeting time and place. I have recently changed mobile phone providers for the first time in over 10 years and found out firsthand what being without a phone is like. I am in the U.S. at the moment and global roaming was not enabled on my phone for about 12 hours. During this time I felt almost like something was missing and it made me think, how did we ever survive before cell phones?
    - Peter Ward
  2. zzx375 New Member

"...how did we ever survive before cell phones?"Just fine.
  3. pward New Member

I think cell phones are a great convenience however sometimes they can be more of a distraction then a convenience.
  4. jerryhung New Member

Add BlackBerry to the mix, when the US President depends on ithow did we all survive, life was much simpler