SQL Server Performance

Checkpoint Database

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 General DBA Questions' started by BDRichardson, Jul 15, 2013.

1. BDRichardson New Member

When executing sp_who2 stored procedure, I observe DbName varies across different servers for the CheckPoint command.

I am assuming there can only be one CheckPoint command running for each server instance. If I am correct in my assumption, can the database for the CheckPoint command be configured for each server instance, i.e. specify to which database the command establishes its connection?

For example, I would expect the CheckPoint command to be connected to one of the System databases, rather than one of the user databases.
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

3. BDRichardson New Member

I have both read the documentation and trawled the internet, but am still unable to answer this understand how this process manages it's connection.
  4. Luis Martin Moderator

Could you share sp_configure results?
  5. BDRichardson New Member

Please see the attached PDF.

This demonstrates different CheckPoint databases. A production database, for which I do not have access, has a CheckPoint which is connected to a user database, rather than a system database.

Attached Files:

6. Luis Martin Moderator

May be I missing something, but what you show in PDF is sp_configure results 4 times.
    Checkpoint is set automatically (recovery interval).
    I can see the way to set checkpoint, except in sql 2012, for each particular user database.
    Way for others members opinions.
    Thanks.
  7. BDRichardson New Member

The PDF has configurations for four different servers, i.e. Server 1 to Server 4.
    The configurations are identical, with exception for SQL version and the database to which the background CheckPoint process is connected.
  8. Luis Martin Moderator

Any SQL server 2012?
  9. BDRichardson New Member

No, just SQL 2008.
  10. Luis Martin Moderator

I was checking my customers and I can't reproduce your case. :(
  11. BDRichardson New Member

One of the mysterious behind the scenes features.

The reason for my concern is that I perform checks for open connections prior to executing scripts, and that the check fails due to the background process connections. As a workaround, I have excluded background process connections from the check, and hope that the script changes are not hampered.

Thank you for most kindly assisting with my investigation.