SQL Server Performance

Clustered SQL Server Instance

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by SQLBuddy123, Jun 30, 2009.

1. SQLBuddy123 New Member

Hi,
    When we take a SQL Server resource on a cluster offline, does it stop the SQL Server Service on the node that owns that SQL Server Instance?
    Could anyone help me what actually happens when we take the SQL resource offline on a cluster?
    Thank You,
    Yours,
    SQL Buddy.
  2. DreTheDBA New Member

When you take a SQL Server cluster resource offline, it is the same as stopping the SQL Server service. The SQL Server database will not be able to accept any connections. In order to begin to accept connections, the cluster resource has to be brought back online.
  3. SQLBuddy123 New Member

Hi Dre,
    Thank you very much for your reply.
    I really appreciate your help.
    Yours
    SQL Buddy
  4. LouisP New Member

Also keep in mind that there is a difference between stopping the SQL Server resource from the right hand pane of Cluster Admininistrotor, and stopping the entire group from the left pane. If you stop the resource, the drives (and shares) will still be available, but if you stop the group they will not be. Most of the time, you would probably just want SQL Server down. But let's say you were doing a lot of maintenance on the cluster with multiple reboots/failovers, it would be a real bummer if someone launched a large FTP job in the middle of your maintenance window.
    Louis
  5. MohammedU New Member

6. SQLBuddy123 New Member

Hi Mohammed,
    Thanks a lot for your help.
    Yours
    SQLBuddy.
  7. SQLBuddy123 New Member

Hi Louis,
    Thank you very much for your reply.
    I really appreciate your help.
    Yours