SQL Server Performance

Configuring Replication

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Replication' started by rohit2900, Dec 18, 2007.

1. rohit2900 Member

Hello,I want to configure transactional replication between two servers with sql server 2005, I want to know whether both the servers and the third server on which I've created the network share folder to save the snapshots should be in same domain or not. In this case all three servers are stand alone servers, they doesn't belong to any domain. Is it possible to configure replication in this case and if yes then can you plz tell me the steps involved?
    Rohit
  2. ChandraMohan New Member

Dear Rohit,
    I had configured replication on sql server 2005 between two servers over the internet. According to my experience in configuration of replication take care of the following steps before you start configuring the replication.
    1. Check that all the servers can accept remote connections. You can configure this in the surface area configuration tool in sql server 2005.
    2. Plz make sure that the hosts file is configured correctly. You can find the hosts file in C:WINNTsystem32driversetc. The entries in the host file should be in this format
    SERVER1IPADDRESS SERVER1NAME
    SERVER2IPADDRESS SERVER2NAME
    SERVER3IPADDRESS SERVER3NAME
    Ex:
    192.168.10.25 HSTSYS1
    Make sure the host file is configured in all the three systems. Now restart all the systems.
    3. If the shared folder is configured on the third server and is accessible by the other two servers then you can configure pull subscriptions otherwise you can go with push subscriptions.
    If you have any further queries you can contact me at n.chandramohan@yahoo.com
    Thanks & Regards
    Chandra Mohan N
  3. satya Moderator

You haven't mentioned what model of replication you are building, take help from this KBA http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321822.
    The simplest way to do this is to create relevant number of local administrator accounts with the same name and password. Use this account as the local SQL Server agent account on all computers. This is called PassThrough authentication.

If you want to use SQL Server authenication, impersonate the sa or relevant privileged account, make sure all of your snapshot folders are to a location like \serverNameShareName and the the everyone groupaccount has read access permission underlying the ShareName directory.

It is recommended that you use a SQL Server agent account
    that has access on the remote domains though, or use
    passthrough authentication.