SQL Server Performance

Connection Memory Performance Counter?

Discussion in 'Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by chilisauce, Jun 27, 2005.

1. chilisauce New Member

I am trying to make sense of the Connection Memory performance counter. I understand what the value is returning. I am just tryiing to wrap my brain around how it is calculated.

I have heard 32KB is the amount of memory used to support each connection. But have not been able to verify that. I will admit I have not done rigorous research but was wondering if anyone knew off hand?

For example, if I have 1000 user connections and each connection is 32KB(kilobytes) then is there 31 megabytes reserved for supporting the 1000 connections?

In addition, since SQL will pool connections when the total is above 255 does this have an affect on the value returned by perfmon?

Thanks,

-chili

2. satya Moderator

3. gurucb New Member

For each connection SQL Server makes it uses 512 KB from Memtoleave area. Also the 255 is the configuration that allows sql server to use so many threads at the os level and it does not in any way effect the number of users who are connecting to server.
    Unless there is awe enabled on theserver there is no way to measure to MemtoLeave area for SQL Server.