SQL Server Performance

Cooking a Database

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Feb 17, 2009.

1. shanetasker New Member

I have to admit that I am partial to watching the occasional episode of the British chef Nigella Lawson. One of the first things my wife had installed when we moved house last year was an LCD TV in the kitchen so that she could watch TV; however, I use it to watch cooking shows. The one thing that annoys me about a lot of cooking programs is that they contain nothing more than a 30-minute segment with a super star chef throwing ingredients into a pan and then out comes a dish with a fancy name and a generous drizzle of sauce. The problem is, how do you produce a show when the chef is sick or opening another five-star restaurant?
    If you think about the design of a database, it is a similar situation. Often there will be a senior DBA or an architect that will design a database. All too often, though, this is then the same person that implements the database without a list of ingredients. In other words there is not sufficient design documentation for another DBA to follow the recipe. Just like a head chef, a senior DBA is responsible for identifying what the customer wants and then coming up with a menu that matches the requirements. As a DBA, when was the last time you stepped out of the kitchen?
    - Peter Ward