SQL Server Performance

Creating Indexes on Production Environment

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 T-SQL Performance Tuning' started by sqlserverperformanceforbk, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Hi,
    Need one help immediately. I am creating non-clustering indexes on Live environment for testing the performance of web application.I am creating them and watching the time taken to execute the script and deleting the index. I am scared creating and deleting the index on live environment will affect anything. Please advise on this.
    Bharath
  2. johnson_ef Member

HI Bharath,
    I hope this situation would be Production box with huge records, because, this would be the reason you are worried about the time taken. It is obvious that, the index creation in a table will be more if its a production box with huge records. But i would prefer different method to apply this. Try creating index in your Test/DEV box and assess the time taken. Because, in production box, it will be more due to real-time traffic.Anyway, if you have already started creating index, let it complete, because creating or rebuilding index will be rollbacked. From my experiance, you won't face any data corruption due to this. But be cool and wait till the task complete.
    Regards
    -Johnson
  3. Hi Johnson,
    Thank you for your reply. I have created the indexes which improved the performance of the application [:)].
    Bharath