SQL Server Performance

Database Mirroring

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Database Mirroring' started by SQLBuddy123, Jul 6, 2009.

1. SQLBuddy123 New Member

Hi,
    I have multiple databases on each SQL Server 2005 instance on a Cluster that need to be mirrored on to a single SQL Server 2005 instance residing on a remote cluster.
    Now to setup database mirroring for each of these databases of a single instance, should I use unique Mirroring endpoints with unique port numbers for each of these databases or should I use the same endpoint for all of these databases of a single instances?
    Also, regarding creation of the logins on the mirror, should I create only those logins on the Principal instance that are mapped to Users of the mirrored databases?
    Could anyone help me with this?
    Thank You,
    Yours,
    SQLBuddy
  2. arunyadav Member

[quote user="SQLBuddy123"]
    Now to setup database mirroring for each of these databases of a single instance, should I use unique Mirroring endpoints with unique port numbers for each of these databases or should I use the same endpoint for all of these databases of a single instances?
    [/quote]
    All the databases on same instance can use the same endpoint and port.
    [quote user="SQLBuddy123"]
    Also, regarding creation of the logins on the mirror, should I create only those logins on the Principal instance that are mapped to Users of the mirrored databases?
    [/quote]
    All logins which needs to access the mirror server/ database after it becomes principal (after failover) needs to be created on Mirror server. If the mirror databases are on different instances then you can think of creating only those logins on the Principal instance that are mapped to Users of the mirrored databases on every instance.
  3. SQLBuddy123 New Member

Hi Arun,
    Thank you very much for your Reply.
    I really appreciate your Help.
    Yours
    SQLBuddy
  4. satya Moderator

FYI make sure you count the number of databses that you want to include them in DB Mirroing, as per generic guidelines if there are more than 10 databases to include better you test/plan thoroghly as it takes longer time for recovery when any disaster happens.
  5. SQLBuddy123 New Member

Hi Satya,
    Thanks a lot for your reply.
    Could you please help me with one more question?
    If there are more than 10 databases selected for DB Mirroring, should we create an unique endpoint for each 10db set?
    Yours
    SQLBuddy
  6. satya Moderator

I believe that has been answered by Arun above, which means you can use one endpoint.