SQL Server Performance

Design argument - email templates

Discussion in 'T-SQL Performance Tuning for Developers' started by erkdahl, Aug 31, 2006.

1. erkdahl New Member

Ok guys. This subject drives me crazy. All feedback is greatly appriciated.

Lets say you have to store emails in a table. (sent / unsent /drafts etc) only outgoing.

Then you have a set of email-templates which is accessible to the user.

My prefered choice here would be to create one table for email-templates and one table for real emails. No connections.

However my co-worker is arguing that we should create one table for email-content (subject, body), one table for real emails with a reference to the email-content table for its contents, and one table for email-templates with a reference to the email-content for its contents.
    So in short, he wants to have one table to store all contents of emails, refering both to the real-email table and the template-email table. A sort of 1 to 1 relationship.
    And the reason, he says, for doing this is that if we in the future want to add a column to the contents of a email then we can do it in only one table.

Yeah, well this sounds to me like the crappiest attempt of a database design I have ever heard of. It actually makes me angry just to think about it.

Is it something i might have overlooked? Is it something about his design that is valuable and if so what? Or should i just tell him to stay away from the database?