SQL Server Performance

Distributed Transaction Coordinator security.

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 General Developer Questions' started by RGKN, Jan 6, 2010.

1. RGKN New Member

It seems that the recommended set up for the DTC is for the service on a SQL server to be configured to run using the NT AuthorityNetwork Service. I have a SQL server and separate application server which runs a Crystal report that calls an SQL SP on the database server. In order to get this working, the NT AuthorityNetwork Service account needs execute permissions to the appropriate SP.
    I am concerned that setting the DTC up with such generic permissions may be a security risk. What is the recommended best practice for setting permissions on this kind of things? We are using SQL 2005 and we already have a service account set up in AD to run the ASP.NET web application to connect to the server for general application use.
    Many Thanks,
    Robert.
  2. MohammedU New Member

I don't understand why do need to grant the access to DTC service account (nt authority/network service)?
    You can grant the access to to ASP.net account, how you are connecting from asp.net are you using sql connection or windows?
    If it is windows then grant access to the windows account used in connection string.
  3. moh_hassan20 New Member

what is the role of DTC for the crystal report and the stored procedure?
    Are you applying distributed transaction ?