SQL Server Performance

Driving the Latest Model

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Jan 26, 2009.

1. shanetasker New Member

The 26th of January is Australia Day and it is a day of celebration to commemorate the proclamation of British sovereignty over the eastern seaboard of Australia. Typically, most Australians celebrate the day as a public holiday and use it as an opportunity for a BBQ and a few beers with friends. I was chatting with the husband of one of my wife's friends today who is an avid Mercedes Benz fan. In fact, he has upgraded his car to the latest model every four years for the past 12 years. On average Mercedes launches a new version of their coupe sports every four year; however, this year they have released a new model only two years since the last model hit the showroom floor. However, for the first time he will not be driving the latest model as his upgrade was based on a roadmap that has all of a sudden been changed.
    If this sounds familiar it is exactly what Microsoft are doing with the release of Kilimanjaro. There were five years between SQL Server 2000 and 2005 and then only three years between SQL Server 2005 and 2008. All of a sudden though there will only be about 18 months between SQL Server 2008 and Kilimanjaro. As with a Mercedes Benz, a DBMS is not something that you upgrade every two years. Do you think that the release of Kilimanjaro is too soon considering that approximately 30% of the SQL Server installations are still on SQL Server 2000?
    - Peter Ward
  2. JJeffreySchwartz New Member

True - any company of any size at all - cannot possibly change databases every 18 months - and expect to re-train their staff! But Microsoft has to make a profit!! I think that software development must be a 24 or 36 month cycle - not a 12 month cycle. I also tell all of my clients - NEVER upgrade - unless there is something being offered in the new version that you NEED or WANT! And DO NOT be the first in line to get it - wait until at LEAST the second service pack - or you are just testing SQL Server for Microsoft - WITH YOUR data!!!!
  3. carllgrant New Member

I suspect this tightened release cycle means at least that Microsoft is getting better at their own development and testing process. Maybe we need to learn what they're learning!