SQL Server Performance

Dual Core CPU

Discussion in 'Performance Tuning for Hardware Configurations' started by ajitgadge, Aug 2, 2007.

1. ajitgadge New Member

Hello All,
    We are setting up 4 number of 64x2 dual core CPU (AMD ) on our SQL Server 2000 (Physical Count).So my SQL Server is detecting 8 No. of CPU Processsor.On Server, we are running only SQL Server and i want to give all CPU Power to use for SQL Server. So can anybody tell me should i set Parrelilism value to 4 or 8? Because we have physically 4 processors but, as it is dual core so SQL Server detects 8 processors.
  2. thomas New Member

Set it to 8 if you want SQL Server to use all of them.
  3. satya Moderator

4. ajitgadge New Member

Ofcourse I am using SP4 for EE with 2040 Build. But if physical procesor is 4 and it is dual core then how can i set Parallelisam to 8? does any one sure about this value?
    Is any affect of Affinity Mask Value. Currently It is 0 Default.
  5. satya Moderator

THis is a sensitive configuration issue, I would suggest to test such values within development server (with similar configuration if possible) or running virtual images.
    Even contact your MS support for better configuration suggestion. Within our environment we set it to 4 after a thorough testing. [:D].
  6. ajitgadge New Member

Thanks Satya...Currently i have set to 4 for initial use as we didn't face any bottelneck for Memory and CPU. But when DB grows and face a problem then i really need to find out. [:D]
  7. satya Moderator

If this is a heavily accessed database and live one, then I wouldn' wait until the issue occurs, better to test it as suggested and also refer hardware documentation & optimize/normalize the database too.