SQL Server Performance

Dynamic Reports

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services' started by ismailadar, Jan 28, 2011.

1. ismailadar New Member

Hi
    I need to create Dynamic Reports at Runtime using Reporting Services
    Reason being, I used sun query so I don't know which columns I may need so there are many possibilities in the columns and data that I need to display.
    In fact i need to use * in order get all columns but i dont have any idea how can i bind data to columns in my Reporting services project Because coloumn count and name are created dynamically.
    How can i show the result of select staetment with * for examle
    Thanx in advance
  2. Madhivanan Moderator

It is not possible to design report whose datasource is dynamic
  3. ismailadar New Member

thansk for your reply i think it is a big problem for reporting services developper.
  4. satya Moderator

If you see that its a hard core requirement then you can report in MS connect site at http://connect.microsoft.com and ask to include in next release of SQL.
  5. Madhivanan Moderator

[quote user="satya"]
    If you see that its a hard core requirement then you can report in MS connect site at http://connect.microsoft.com and ask to include in next release of SQL.
    [/quote]
    I dont think any reporting service would allow it. It is not at all possible to make field alignments in advance and also not possible to make calculations without knowing the actual column names
  6. ismailadar New Member

Hi Madhivanan,
    I dont agree with you. Coz reporting service pages are rendered at server and coloum names can be predicted easily at run time.
  7. satya Moderator

I'm with both of you, theoritically it is possible but practically it must be provisioned from core database engine to SSRS. Hence my response to post the suggestion to connect site to see if MSFT folks are up for it [:)]
  8. ismailadar New Member

I think imposbble is noting for Microsoft :)
  9. satya Moderator

,.... well can't say that, every possibility comes with a price [;)].. keep in mind.
    Hope you update your wish on Connect site, before post make sure to search there so that you can vote for it instead of duplicating the same.
  10. ismailadar New Member

Hi,
    I wrote it Connect site before posting it i had a big research through internet.
    I hope next release of SQL server will solve it :)