SQL Server Performance

Error: 14421

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Log Shipping' started by rstelma, Jun 22, 2009.

1. rstelma New Member

Hi,
    Yes. I'm getting this error. I've read a lot of posts on this error.
    1. The date and time on both servers are exactly the same although the time on one server is on a 12 hour clock while the secondary server is on the 24 hour clock.
    2. The log shipping Restore job that is running on thesecondary server cannot connect to the monitor server msdb database to update the log_shipping_secondaries table with the correct value. This may be the result of anauthentication problem between the secondary server and the monitorserver.
    I don't know how to troubleshoot this. The monitor is actually showing values, last copied, last restored, etc. Jobs on both servers are running under the same local user with admin rights.
    3. The Out of Sync alert was set to run every 2 minutes while the backup job is set to occur every 15 minutes. I changed the Out of Sync Alert to 45 minutes which is three times the frequency of the backup.
    4. It does seem that there are problems with the restore part of the log shipping since the monitor says that the last restored occured on 3/1/2009.
    5. It is also possible that the Restore job on the secondaryserver is failing. In this case, check the job history for the Restore jobbecause it may indicate a reason for the failure.
    I'm not sure where to look on this one. Where is the job history for the Restore job. I'm looking in the Job Activity Monitor and it just says that the job failed on Last Run Outcome and is scheduled to run again at the 15 minute increment it was set to run on, Runnable is Yes, Category ID 6.
    Also, it doesn't seem that any of the transaction logs in the restore folder on the secondary are getting deleted.
    This job was set up last August and was monitored closely for 3 or 4 days. I'm a conusltant who set this up and assumed that the client would continue monitoring.
    Your help on this issue is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Richard
  2. ghemant Moderator

Welcome to the Forums!!
    Did you go through this KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329133
    If you go the the SQL Server logs on the secondary server it will tell you when the last log was restored for that particular databae, or right click on the job and say view history.
    By any chance do you or any one from your client has altered something that has server wide effect on any of the server!!!!
  3. satya Moderator