SQL Server Performance

Error 2812 cannot find stored procedure

Discussion in 'General DBA Questions' started by matey, Jun 17, 2006.

1. matey New Member

Hi all

I get the following error Executed as user: 'service account'. Could not find stored procedure 'up_stored_procedure'. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 2812). The step failed when I execute up_stored_procedure. The stored procedure exists in the correct database and I also connect to the right database before executing the stored procedure. I have not seen the error before and i've run out of ideas at the moment. Has anyone seen this behaviour before and how do I go about correcting the issue. Thanks
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

Did you try with Query Analyzer?

Luis Martin
    SQL-Server-Performance.com

All in Love is Fair
    Stevie Wonder

All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.

3. matey New Member

yes i did and got the same response.
  4. ramkumar.mu New Member

did you check the username under which the SP was created?

-- example

create procedure test.test1
    as
    select * from b

exec test1

the above would throw an error as the test1 proc exists under the login test.

Thanks,
    Ram

"It is easy to write code for a spec and walk in water, provided, both are freezed..."
  5. matey New Member

the owners of both sp and job is dbo
  6. Adriaan New Member

Any parameters that the sp is expecting?
  7. matey New Member

all the parameters was supplied
  8. FrankKalis Moderator

9. Adriaan New Member

In Enterprise Manager, on the Properties for the SQL Server instance, go to Security, and check the Startup Service Account setting at the bottom of the tab.
  10. satya Moderator

Is the database upgraded from MS-Access?

Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Contributing Editor & Forums Moderator
    http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
    This posting is provided �AS IS� with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
  11. matey New Member

the database was not an upgrade from MS Access. I managed to find out that sql was case sensitive so had to change things around and it worked. Thanks all for your response much appreciated.
  12. Adriaan New Member

Good catch!

There was a thread recently on case sensitive collations, where I was surprised to learn that it also applied to database object names.