SQL Server Performance

Error: 3023 - While Backup job is running on sql server 2005

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by rhitti, Mar 17, 2009.

1. rhitti New Member

Hi,
    I have noticed from the activity logs on my SQL Server 2005 management studio the folowing error:
    Error: 3023; Severity: 16
    Backup, CHECKALLOC, bulk copy, SELECT INTO, and file manipulation (such as CREATE FILE) operations on a database must be serialized. Reissue the statement after the current backup, CHECKALLOC, or file manipulation operation is completed.
    This error logged after some of the schedule transaction log backup jobs (not all of them). I investigated the problem and noticed that this error indicates that the BACKUP statement cannot be performed at the same time as creating, deleting, or shrinking database files. So, to resolve this error I should reissue the backup operation after the conflicting operation has finished.

However, my transaction backup jobs are successfully completed, the only jobs that are enabled and probably running are the Merge and the Transactional replication between my server where these logs appear (subscriber) and a remote server.
    1- Can the replications be the cause of these errors?
    2- Is it possible that the replication jobs are conflicting with the backup job?
    3- From where i can check the logs of the replications? i can not see any replication logs on the subscriber server from the activity current logs page?
    4- If the replication process is not the cause of these errors, what are the possible causes of these errors?

Thanks for any help you may provide,
    Richard
  2. techbabu303 New Member

The Collection Evaluator component, along with various other Systems Management Server (SMS) components, may generate an SQL error 3023 if it runs during the backup of the SMS database.
    Are you using the above component ? If yes follow the link below
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q274743/