SQL Server Performance

finding the process that is paging

Discussion in 'Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by seanlo@jdg.co.za, Dec 4, 2005.

1. seanlo@jdg.co.za New Member

HI There

This should be a pretty simple one, i have done a baseline on our sql server box.
    I was wondering in recent performance tracing i see that pages/sec is going up.

But i am sure it is not sql server but some other process, how can i narrow down the proces that is causing the pages/sec figure to be so high ?

As pages/sec applies to the server memory object i cannot specify a process, or maybe you can i am not sure.

I have opened task manager and there i have added the page faults column , is this accurate ? Are the processes that have the page faults values ticking up respnsible for the pages/sec counter int he performance trace? Can i correlate the 2 ?

If not what is a good way to find the actual specific processes that are causing the pages/sec ?

Thanx
  2. Chappy New Member

Yes, page faults is accurate.

A page fault occurs when a request is made to an address which is not currently in physical RAM. Windows handles the page fault and swaps in the requested page from disk.

Task manager does not show you the difference between a process which is *increasing* its swapfile usage, it only shows a process whose address space is frequently being swapped in from disk, but typically the one with the most page faults is also the one whose swapfile usage is increasing.
  3. ramasubbup New Member

In the task manager see the counter 'page faults delta' which is more useful
    to find the processes having page faults.
  4. seanlo@jdg.co.za New Member

Thanx Guys

So that is useful when i can look at task manager while i am performance tracing, but is there no performance monitor process counter that can help isolate the paging processes, in a normal scheduled performance trace ?

Thanx
  5. satya Moderator