SQL Server Performance

Front End's

Discussion in 'Third Party Tools' started by Bob V, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Bob V New Member

I am new to SQL and have inherited a team of programmers that use it extensively. The problem I have is
    most of the projects that they do are rather straight forward and using SQL Server is quite involved. I want to
    add to the staff, but would prefer using other in-house people that are technical, but not at the SQL level.
    Are there any GUI's that front SQL Server that can eliminate having to code? I saw that some people use FoxPro to front, but also saw that
    MySQL has a GUI, which I don't know would work with SQL Server.
  2. FrankKalis Moderator

Welcome to the forum!
    I'm not sure what you mean, but if you're looking for something like MySQL's Administrator & Query Browser, then have a look at the SQL Server Management Studio. It can usually be found at Program Group -> Microsoft SQL Server 200x. If not, install it from your source media.
    However, you still have to code your stuff. :)
  3. ghemant Moderator

Hi,
    Are you searching about some product which will generage code for you? If so, I don't think that there are such product available but yes with Intellisense (bundeled with SQL 2008) its very easy to code.
    Is this what you are looking for ? If not please be precise.
  4. Bob V New Member

Hi Ghemant,
    Yes, something easy to use that would create the actual query. I have heard that FoxPro can be used in that capacity, using views, or can be used in a
    "pass through" mode, whereby you write the query and pass it on to SQL.
    Thanks for responding,
    Bob
  5. satya Moderator

I believe there will be a bottleneck to the events when you are chosen a GUI based to generate queries, even though for that you have to pass on the paramets to define the actual query to generate.
    If you are looking for some frontend to SQL Server, then MS ACCESS is better off to accomplish the task (some extent)
  6. satya Moderator

Whatever resources/knowledge you have in the organisation you can simply use SQL Server as backend/data storage. As Frank refers the calls you need to make from Front end can be designed in any other programming language where SQL Server can take advantage of understanding that using CLR methods.
    Rather you can use MS Access as frontend to SQL - http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-5065669.html fyi
  7. wayen.zjw New Member

don't know what u r saying, maybe people will help you when you make it clear