SQL Server Performance

How to connect to the SQL server if the cluster service is shut down

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 Questions [Archive Only - Closed]' started by WingSzeto, Dec 9, 2008.

1. WingSzeto Member

I am not sure if this is doable since I install SQL 2008 as a cluster instance during the SQL installation. I am doing various testing and say the SQL server's machine name is SQLServ (172.10.100.15) and the cluster SQL server instance name is SQLClusterServ (172.10.100.20). I like to know if I shut down the clustering service from the Failover cluster Management tool, is there a way I can still connect to the SQL server? I notice that shutting down the clustering service doesn't shut down the SQL server services and wondering if I could still connect to the SQL server.
    Also, since I shut down the clustering service, the only way I know how to bring it back up is to reboot the server. Is there another way to bring back the clustering service up?
    Any pointer is very much appreciated.
    wingman
  2. MohammedU New Member

As long as SQL server service is running you can connect to it...
    Did you try starting the cluster service manually from computer management? if not try it...
  3. WingSzeto Member

Yes, I tried to connect to the SQL server by the default instance name (server name) and by its computer IP, I can't connect to it. The error is something like 'server doesn't exist or access denied'.
    For the clustering start-up, I am quite new on clustering so I don't even know there is a clustering service that I can start and stop in the service, which I should have known if I think a little deeper. Thank for the pointer.
  4. satya Moderator

When the clusteirng is involved the SQL Server service is installed on a virtual instance name, in this case if you have stopped CLUSTER service means everything is shutdown as the SQL clustering is dependant on cluster resources.
  5. WingSzeto Member

Satya, thank for the response. So when the cluster service is shut down and even I see the SQL services is still running (under service), I won't be able to connect to it because I am dealing with SQL clustering, right?
  6. satya Moderator

How many SQLServer related services you see under Administrative Tools ---> Services?
  7. Elisabeth Redei New Member

Hi,
    The SQL Server service is not depending on the cluster service as such. However, if the cluster goes down, then anything running on the Cluster (not server) will go down as well (e.g. the clustered or Virtual SQL Server service which, to put it simple, just runs on top of your SQL Server service). So your virtual SQL server can be offline but as you have seen, the SQL Service can still be running but needless to say it is not "Virtual".
    Look in the errorlog for which IP and port to use (%Program FilesMicrosoft SQL ServerMSSQL.1MSSQLLOGerrorlog) or if your at the machine, use "." (without quotation marks), the Hostname or (local).
    /Elisabeth
  8. Elisabeth Redei New Member

Oh, and btw, you can either use "NET START clusvc" or start the cluster service from the Services applet (no need to reboot).
    /Elisabeth