SQL Server Performance

How to isolate that bad network is cause of the poor query performance

Discussion in 'ALL SQL SERVER QUESTIONS' started by Frank.svs, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Frank.svs New Member

Hi Friends,

I would like to know a way to isolate sql server bad query performance is caused by NETWORK and not the sql server.

Are there any specific tips and tricks in ssms, waitype of specific perfmon counter permissable values for network is concerned? How to baseline the network related counters and what values should I consider as good /better/poor.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
  2. davidfarr Member

Network performance is not something that is unique to SQL Server. A good/bad network can affect many processes and so your question is really more of a networking question than a SQL Server question.

Perfmon and other third-party applications can test network performance; bandwidth and latency, but they should ideally be used with 'controlled' data samples. A controlled sample would be something like a single static 1GB data file that may be used to simply copy across between client and server and measure the performance of that file transfer at either end. It is not a good idea to test network performance based on the speed of SQL Server queries because the queries themselves have too many performance variables of their own and therefore cannot be used as a reliable 'control' sample for testing network speed.
    Furthermore; in network terms, "a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link", meaning that a network problem or bottleneck could exist at the client, or at the server, or anywhere in between those two points. Using PerfMon on one computer will not necessarily reveal a problem.

As said in my opening response, you should rather be consulting network expertise than SQL Server expertise.
    Frank.svs likes this.
  3. Frank.svs New Member

Hi David,

Thanks for the nice explaination and I understood that we need to engage the networking guy. I was checking if there is a way through sql server with some numbers and show take them to the sysadmin/networking folks and they will take from there. Later I found that we can use wait stats from sql server.

Again, thanks for the help.