SQL Server Performance

IIS in reporting

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services' started by Fais, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Fais New Member

Currently we have IIS (For reporting) sitting on one server & the databases are sitting on another server (i.e.) two different
    servers are serving reporting . (Reason: If IIS and databases are on the same server, performance goes down with the current
    configuration of the server).
    But, few days ago, we added new application( this also uses IIS) on the same box where IIS is present for reports . So, last week the CPU went up & IIS took lot of memory and finally got hanged. Then we have to restart IIS to free up resources.
    So, we are thinking of moving IIS (for reporting) as well as restoring reportserver & reportservertempdb database onto DR Server which has enough CPU & RAM. So, by moving the IIS (i.e.) the report manager (http://localhost
    eports
    ) to the DR server and get the data from same old server.,do you think any kind of improvement in performance if we move IIS to other server? Please let me know.
    Thanks.
  2. satya Moderator

BEtter to have a seperate machines for IIS & SQL Server, in thsi case ensure both of the servers hardware matches to the requirement where you want to move the IIS & SSRS.
    Also if you do need SSRS, but really do not want run SQL Server and IIS in the same box (for security or work load reason), you could install SSRS in a box with IIS but without SQL Server.