SQL Server Performance

INEXPENSIVE SQL SERVER DEVELOPER EDITION

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements' started by gaurav_bindlish, Jun 13, 2003.

1. gaurav_bindlish New Member

This is an excerpt of SQL Server Magazine digest-

* BORLAND C# TOOL TO SHIP WITH INEXPENSIVE SQL SERVER DEVELOPER EDITION
    (contributed by Paul Thurrott, thurrott@winnetmag.com)

One bit of good news that came out of Paul Flessner's TechEd 2003 address is that SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition's price will drop from $499 to just $49. The company told me it wanted to make SQL Server more accessible to developers, but I suspect the price reduction has something to do with the free and quite popular MySQL database, an open-source product. Regardless, the new SQL pricing will drive sales, and at least one major company, Borland Software, has already agreed to include SQL Server Developer Edition in its products. The first will be Borland C# Builder, due this summer.

Interesting stuff. Seems that SQL Server developer won't be out of reah soon.

Also there was an announcement of Yukon being delayed until late 2004.

Gaurav
  2. vbkenya New Member

This might just be the first of many price reductions (not to this level of a 90% cut) due to heat from open-source software. Then again, I suppose SQL Server Developer Edition wasn't selling much before this announcement.

I don't mind the delay in the release of Yukon for as long as when it comes out it really is better, faster (pray maybe even cheaper!) and truly mature.

NHO
  3. gaurav_bindlish New Member

New Price for Developer Edition Starts August 1

Get SQL Server Developer Edition for $49 US. SQL Server Developer Edition must be used for design, development, and testing purposes only. Pricing may vary outside the United States.

http://microsoft.com/sql/howtobuy/development.asp

Gaurav
    Man thrives, oddly enough, only in the presence of a challenging environment- L. Ron Hubbard