SQL Server Performance

Interesting restore issue

Discussion in 'ALL SQL SERVER QUESTIONS' started by JeffS, Dec 16, 2011.

1. JeffS New Member

Sorry, I posted this in the wrong forum previously.

Hi. I'm seeing a very interesting restore issues. I have a database in full recovery mode. I'm trying to get mirroring online on a standby server, so I'm restoring this backup to the standby server. I'm doing a full backup followed by a transaction log backup. Strangely, when I try to restore these databases on the standby server, I get a log chain error:
    Code:
    Msg 4312, Level 16, State 1, Line 2
    This log cannot be restored because a gap in the log chain was created. Use more recent data backups to bridge the gap.
    Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 2
    RESTORE LOG is terminating abnormally.
    This is a little strange because the transaction log back up made immediately following the full backup.

Doing a little research I restored the standby database completely (with recovery), just from the full backup. I know this isn't the way to perform a restore for mirroring purposes, but I just wanted to see what was going on. Interestingly, the database come up in Simple recovery mode. Has anyone seen and issue like this? I think this is ultimately the root cause of the log chain issue. thanks!
  2. satya Moderator

If the database was in SIMPLE recovery model the transaction log backup is not possible at all, the error is by default because there is gap in LSN from the ful backup.