SQL Server Performance

Joining 2 tables and make it as 1 view - Performance

Discussion in 'ALL SQL SERVER QUESTIONS' started by Antonio Benildus Muerling, May 14, 2012.

1. Hi All,

Thanks for reading my post

Please be noted that am working on a query, where front end application is pointed to a view, inside the view it is direct select query with about 10 fields, and the necessity has arose to add another field to the view, and seems like that field is not in the same existing table where the view exists, hence am going to join another table and produce the result.

PS : the number of records in the existing query or rather the view, result in 197000, and the intended table which is to be joined also has the same number of records.

my question is, as a result of doing so, would there be a performance drop, as I see a lot bad about the views in the blogs iand even if this would work fine, how would it behave in the long run, cause as the days go by, the number of records increases.

would there be any other process, that anyone could tell me, would not bring in a drop in the performance. (I am afraid to say, have to anyway go through views, as this section is embedded in with pointing to the views,and have got no way of altering from the perspective of front line coding eg : .net, visual basic)

Please advice.

Thanks,

AB
  2. FrankKalis Moderator

Welcome to the forums!
    You have asked a very broad question, so we can only give a broad answer. Views are not "bad" or "slow" per se. However, the way people use views might sometimes be less smart.
    So, but adding a column from another table to the SELECT list of the view does not necessarily result in a loss of performance. If there are proper indexes on the tables in place and the view is queried smartly from the client, you might not even notice a negative impact at all. If performance suffers severely, you might want to have a look at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc917715.aspx, if that is an option for you.