SQL Server Performance

Log Shipping error

Discussion in 'SQL Server Log Shipping' started by Baire, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Baire New Member

I'm in the process of setting up log shipping and have come across a problem. It looks like the Transaction log backups are being backed up ok on the Primary server. They also appear to be copying ok to the secondary server.

My problem is during the loading/restore process on the secondary server. The first few log's appear to be loading ok on the secondary server, however It has stopped loading the remaining logs.

looking at the Log Shipping history on the monitor server, the following error message is displayed when loading the remaining log's on the secondary server

[Microsoft SQL-DMO (ODBC SQLState: 42000)] Error 4330: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]The log in this backup set cannot be applied because it is on a recovery path inconsistent with the database.
    [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]RESTORE LOG is terminating abnormally.

Any suggestions on resolving this would be appreciated.

2. satya Moderator

Is the secondary server accessed for reporting purposes?
    Ensure the backup set from primary server is copied across to secondary server without any issues, check for any network issues between the machines.

Satya SKJ
    http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
    This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
  3. Baire New Member

At the moment I'm only testing so both the Primary and Secondary databases are test copies and are not accessed by anyone even for reporting.

I set the copy and load frequency to occur every 30 min and looking at the secondary server log shipping history on the monitor server again, I've noticed that the first load failure occurred when it attempted to load the wrong log file. By this I mean at 22:00, it should have been loading the 21:30 backup instead of the 21:00 backup.

Do you have any idea as to why it has skied to load the 21:30 backup? The log backup was successfully on the primary server and copied over onto the secondary server at 21:30 so I don't understand why it has skipped it completely.

Many Thanks in advance
  4. satya Moderator

After you have configured log shipping, use the monitor server to view information about the status of all the log shipping servers.

Satya SKJ
    http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
    This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.