SQL Server Performance

log Shipping on a high latency connection

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Log Shipping' started by andycapp92, Sep 17, 2008.

1. andycapp92 New Member

I am looking at implementing log shipping on a connection with network latencies of 1000ms on average.
    I am concerned about how well the backup file writing process will work across a network like this.
    Latency between the two databases overall is not a large concern in this case a long as the process will run reliably.

Anybody have insights?

2. satya Moderator

Welcome to the forums.
    What is the interval of log shipping you are planning?
    Say if it is 15 minutes then you should consider the number of transactions that are consumed on SQL level which means the size of Transaction log file and copying the same from primary to secondary will consume fair amount of time. I don't see any issue as of now but you are at best to test the same to adopt a correct interval of log shipping between the servers.
  3. gurucb New Member

Since network latencies are mentioned (assuming slow network) may be it would be better to backup -> Zip Backup file -> copy -> Restore. this will reduce network load as well :). But as moderator said you are the best judge.
    As regards to compression you can use WinZip API or .net frame work in built classes to do that.
  4. moh_hassan20 New Member

Latency should be resolved by vendor based on your SLA. It should be 100- 250 ms at maximum
    What data link you use: FR, ATM,.. and bandwidth.
    How you measured the latency. ?