SQL Server Performance

Log Shipping

Discussion in 'General DBA Questions' started by Raulie, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Raulie New Member

I just finished reading the artical on how to create Log Shipping, everything seams fairly simple except the part on....

The "STANDBY" line tells the "RESTORE LOG" command not to rollback any uncommitted transactions and to allow read-only access to the database. This option requires you to specify a file, such as, "undo_database_name.ldf" to be used to "undo" any transactions. Locate this file in an appropriate path.

Can someone please elaberate more on this part. I stuck on this, where do I locate an undo file.
  2. satya Moderator

The log records the start and end of every transaction and associates each modification with a transaction. An instance of SQL Server stores enough information in the log to either redo (roll forward) or undo (roll back) the data modifications that make up a transaction. Each record in the log is identified by a unique log sequence number (LSN). All of the log records for a transaction are chained together.

To locate the file while you mention the RESTORE LOG statement the path must be provided, so it means that depends on the path you create that undo file. For instance in the following statement it referred in G: drive of the machine as :

RESTORE LOG database_name
    FROM DISK = 'g:mssql7ackuplogdatabase_namedatabase_name_log_backup_device.bak'
    WITH
    DBO_ONLY,
    STANDBY = 'g:mssql7ackuplogdatabase_nameundo_database_name.ldf'

HTH

Satya SKJ
    http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
    This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.