SQL Server Performance

Login error using virtual name

Discussion in 'ALL SQL SERVER QUESTIONS' started by Zhao, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Zhao New Member

Hi,

I have a default SQL 2008 R2 instance on a server ABC1, and I setup a virtual DNS name ABC2 that points to the IP address of ABC1.

However, I cannot connect to ABC2 with windows authentication using SSMS on the server ABC1 itself, although I can do so from anywhere else. The error message I received was:
    Login failed. The login is from an untrusted domain and cannot be used with Windows authentication.

It seems very weird.

Very much appreciate if anyone can offer any help.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Shehap MVP, MCTS, MCITP SQL Server

Are the 2 DNS records on the same AD since I am suspecting this Server ABC1 on a different domain rather than that domain hosting this virtual DNS record + the other machines also you remote connect from them and you can justify that by using SQL Server authenticated logins not AD authenticated logins where they should login successfully

Despite of that, I would like to give a preference to use the alias option through Run>>> cliconfg.exe to be able to create what ever needed of aliases to refer to a SQL Server instance with no longer need to create multiple DNS records to refer to a SQL Server instance ..

Kindly let me know if any further help is needed
  3. Zhao New Member

Thanks Shehap for the advice.

All our servers are in the same domain. The error message is weird and misleading indeed.

Also, only TCP/IP protocol is enabled for SQL server, all other protocols, including Named Pipes, Shared Memory, are disabled.

Setting up a client side alias is an option.