SQL Server Performance

login to sql server when my old login route changed

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 General DBA Questions' started by mannai29, Feb 7, 2011.

1. mannai29 New Member

hi !
    I have installed my SQL Server with "windows client admin" and "sa" user names . after 2 month my computer name changed and i forgotten the password of "sa" .
    Now i see the server of SQL in login window and can select it. but i cant login by windows authentication.
    How i can login to SQL Server or what is the best solution?
    thanks.
    mannai

2. RamJaddu Member

one way would be find out the account details under which the SQL Server is running, connect using that account and add userself as sysadmin account or you can change the sa password.
  3. Luis Martin Moderator

Welcome to the forums!.
    If you forget the password of "sa", and you have a windows authentication user name, then my suggestion is:
    1) Change your computer name/user to the old one.
    2) Using 1) connect to sql and backup of all user databases.
    3) Reinstall SQL, restore, etc.
    4) If before does not work, call Microsoft.
  4. satya Moderator

Welcome to the forums.
    As the servername is changed the SQL SErver service may not come online, so in this case you have to :

exec master..sp_dropserver 'OldServerName'
    go
    exec master..sp_addserver 'NewServerName', local
    go

Stop and Re-Start the MSSQL Services and you will be good to go...

5. Luis Martin Moderator

Reading Satya post:What was changed, your server name or your personal computer name?
  6. mannai29 New Member

thanks all
    it's my computer name that was changed. but my problem is i can't login with windows authentication and i don't have any SQL Server account for login too. so i can't change my server name as "Satya" says.
    "Luis", i can't changed my computer name to old one, because i don't have permit to it.
    thanks.
  7. Luis Martin Moderator

Like I said before, if you can't change your computer name nor ask for a new one windows account, I can't see how to fix the problem.
  8. satya Moderator

Ok, do you have any backups of databases that were hosted on this instance?
    If not just simply uninstall and reinstall a fresh server....
  9. mannai29 New Member