SQL Server Performance

logshipping -- litespeed or sql?

Discussion in 'General DBA Questions' started by lara99, May 9, 2009.

1. lara99 New Member

hi all, we are planning to set up logshipping in our organization and we are getting the Quest--Litespeed also.Now I know that there is an option in quest--litespeed where you can do loshipping using that.my question is which is better,quest litespeed loshipping or sql logshipping.do we have any major problems with quest lite speed.please through some ideas and experiences.Thanks,lara
  2. MohammedU New Member

Either one should be fine...
    If you use LiteSpeed then your tlog backups will be smaller in size and easy to copy from one server to another which will reduce network traffice and space...
    If you use built-in it will be free where LiteSpeed you have to pay...it is your choice but functionality wise there is not much difference.
  3. lara99 New Member

thanks mohammad for your valuable response.
    we have lite speed alreday,
    but i read online that litespeed logshipping is not that great.
    is that true.
    because in my situation i just have to choose the best.
    as the litespeed is already available.
    thanksa again
    lara
  4. satya Moderator

What is your main criteria on setting up the log shipping, is it for speed to transfer logs to standby or performance in accomplishing the STANDBY approach?
    As Mohammed referred both are good on their aspects, I'm more inclined to test and perform with SQL Native methods such as LOG SHIPPING than rushing for third party tools in general. So I would like to know what kind of issues you have faced in SQL related log shipping and for Quest related it is better to get in touch with the vendor directly.
  5. lara99 New Member

thanks satya we have not yet set the loshipping it is just the initial idea that i am discussing here.so i was just trying to get some ideas which approach would be better.i have some other question alsohi all i have a question about loshippingcan we give the same server name to loshipping secondary server as primary.and what is the course of action once any of the database goes down.do we have to manually move the applicatoin by changing the webconfig.or can it be hardcoded the webconfig so that we just have to move the applicatoinand not change the webconfig,i dont know how exactly the applicatoin movement works but i think changing the webconfig itself is moving the applicatoinam i right.please through some suggestions.thanks,regards,lara