SQL Server Performance

Maintaining Privacy

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Nov 5, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

I am not a big fan of going to the doctor, in fact the last time I went to the doctor was over two years ago. The only reason I went to the doctor on that occasion was to have a medical examination when changing insurance providers. This morning I needed to go to the doctor, this time it was to get several immunisation injections for an upcoming trip to Vietnam. In not going to the doctor for such a long time I noticed a number of changes in the whole process.
    Apart from the waiting room now having a LCD monitor on the wall with health hints I noticed a rather lengthy privacy policy. As I needed to wait for 20 minutes after having my injections I read the entire policy from end to end. Medical information is a very sensitive topic and there are all sorts of concerns about the privacy of people's data and who can access it. The scenario that is often used to describe privacy concerns is what would happen if your employer was able to access your medical records and make hiring decisions based on this data. The challenge from a DBAs perspective is to ensure that this privacy is maintained. How do you deal with the challenges of ensuring privacy is maintained in the databases you manage?
    - Peter Ward