SQL Server Performance

max cpu and memory usage sql server 2008

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by graven21, Aug 19, 2009.

1. graven21 New Member

Hi all,
    I have an extraction server that stores xml entries on SQL Server Enterprise Edition (Evaluation trial) then forward it to My SQL 5.1. The application supposedly run 24/7 downloading xml files every 35 seconds on the production server,mean while i'm testing it on our test server.
    For the first 20 hours, the application runs well but i noticed in exceeding more than 24 hours the sql CPU usage and Memory are too high as a result the application's performance is slow.
    i run "sp_who2" and noticed that there are "RUNNABLE" processes.I also checked the activity monitor of sql i oberved the cpu usage is high (80-90%) and memory usage was increasing as time goes on even reaching morethan 1GB.Is this a database issue?
    Please let me know.
    Test Server: Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition (x64)
    .NET Framework: 3.5
    SQL Server: Enterprise Edition Evaluation
    My SQL: 5.1 version
    I'm using Linked server in SQL Server 2008 to communicate with My SQL
    Thanks in advance!
    keep posting! [:D]
  2. ndinakar Member

Looks like you have 2 database servers on the same box. Database servers tend to me resource hungry. So you need to cap the max server memory for both so either one doesnt abuse the other. Also post your hardware specs.. possible you need to throw some hardware at the box.
  3. graven21 New Member

thanks for the response ndinakar..you got it right, sql server 2008, my sql 5.1 and the application are in one server..
    server specs:
    Processor: Intel Xeon 3060-Dual
    RAM: 4GB
    RAM slot 1 OEM 1GB DDR2 [1GB]
    RAM slot 2 OEM 1GB DDR2 [1GB]
    RAM slot 3 Hynix 1GB DDR2 [1GB]
    RAM slot 4 OEM 1GB DDR2 [1GB]

Drive Controller Mainboard Onboard SATAII Controller
    Hard Drive 1: Western Digital WD Caviar RE 16 WD2502ABYS
    thanks!
    keep posting!
  4. satya Moderator

I guess it is normal behaviour that SQL grabs the available memory on the system and releases when it is needed for the operating system, in thsi case I would suggest to monitor the memory related counters for systme & SQL Server for better understanding. Also see what are the memory settings on MYSQL side of it.
    http://sqlserver-qa.net/blogs/perftune/archive/2008/04/01/3733.aspx