SQL Server Performance

Memory usage in SQL Server 2005

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by Narine, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Narine New Member

Hi everyone,
    We have a SQL Server 2005 Standard edition under Win2K3 server.
    What is a maximum memory SQL Server can use in this case? We have 8GB of RAM on the server, but SQL Server seem to only use about 2GB. Do we need AWE turned on?
    The Max Server memory is set to 2147483647 (MB)
    Thanks
    Narine
  2. bradmcgehee New Member

Check out the AWE memory tips on this website. Yes, you do need to turn own on, which is explained in the tips section.
  3. Narine New Member

Thanks, Brad.
    I have configured Lock Pages in Memory and set AWE option to 1.
    SQL Server is still using close to 2GB of RAM instead of the available 8GB.
    According Microsoft there's no need set any flags in the Boot.ini file.
    What am I missing here?
  4. satya Moderator

What is the edition of Windows operating system?
    In SQL 2005 SE it should take maximum memory from the server, memory is no longer a primary decision-making factor, because the new Standard Edition of SQL Server supports as much memory as the OS can use.
    How are you monitoring the memory usage, is it through TASK MANAGER?
    better to go through using SYSMON counters with MEMORY.
  5. Narine New Member

Satya,
    I'm using Perfmon to monitor Memory. According to Microsoft you do need AWE turned on to be able to use >2GB of RAM.
  6. Raulie New Member

Aside from configuring AWE you need to make sure you have enabled 3GB and Physical Address Extensions PAE switch in the boot.ini file, you also need to set Min/Max memory limits so that OS will have enough memory. Usually if no other apps are running on the server you can leave 1GB of free memory for the OS.
    Here is a list of memory supported by OS for SQL Server 2005
    Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition supports physical memory up to 4 GB.
    Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition supports physical memory up to 32 GB.
    Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition supports physical memory up to 64 GB.