SQL Server Performance

Microsoft Virtual PC 2004

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements' started by bradmcgehee, Dec 11, 2003.

1. bradmcgehee New Member

Microsoft just released Microsoft Virtual PC 2004. This nifty software allows you to install virtual computers on your currrent computer and OS. For example, I have a portable running Windows XP Workstation, and I created a virtual PC running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise and Yukon Beta 1. This allows me to play with other software without having to worry about it crashing my current production system. If the beta should corrupt my virtual server, then I can delete it, and reinstall it.

The PC version retails for US$129, and Microsoft will be introducing a server version early next year.

I probably wouldn't recommend this software on a mission critical box, but it does provide an easy way to create multiple virtual systems, all on the same box, saving you a lot of hassle. You can have as many virtual servers as your hardware will handle, and you can run none of them, one of them, or as many as you need at a time.

-----------------------------
    Brad M. McGehee, MVP
    Webmaster
    SQL-Server-Performance.Com
  2. gaurav_bindlish New Member

Agree with the same.... One cool software to get hands on on various technologies. So now I can run my trial versions of softwares without worrying if they'll corrupt my system.

I used it in one of the conferences and beleive me you won't know if you are running on virtual PC or original PC.

Seehttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/virtualpc/ for more details.

Gaurav
    Man thrives, oddly enough, only in the presence of a challenging environment- L. Ron Hubbard
  3. Luis Martin Moderator

Good news, now I don't have to resintall all like last time with Yukon.

Luis Martin

...Thus mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true.
    Bertrand Russell