SQL Server Performance

Monitor Number of connections

Discussion in 'Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by rajoo, Jan 7, 2003.

1. rajoo New Member

Hi

I have both SQL Server 6.5 (default) and SQL 2000 (named instance) on the same server. When I use the Performance Monitor to monitor the number of active userconnections I can only follow the SQL Server 6.5. How can I monitor the number of user connections in both SQL Servers on my server.

Thanks
  2. satya Moderator

Have you specifed the SQL 2K named instance servername to capture the counters?

Satya SKJ
  3. rajoo New Member

Thanks Satya.

I didn't know I could specifiy \ServerNameInstance in the Computer name textbox. However, when I add a counter for UserConnections it shows 0 in the graph even if I have 7 connections to the SQL 2000 database instance. What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks again for your help.

4. bradmcgehee New Member

Which operating system are you using? When you bring up Performance Monitor, do you see both the 6.5 and the 2000 counters, or just one or the other?

------------------
    Brad M. McGehee
    Webmaster
    SQL-Server-Performance.Com
  5. rajoo New Member

Hi

I'm using Windows NT SP6.
    When I type just \servername in the computer name textbox I see the SQL Server 6.5
    When i type \servernameinstancename in the computer name textbox I see just SQL Server which I presume is the SQL 2000 instance.

6. satya Moderator

I can get the details by typing same as yours on my environment here. Surprise why you're not getting, have a look at event viewer and SQL error log for any information.

Satya SKJ
  7. rajoo New Member

satya

There's nothing in the event log.
  8. bradmcgehee New Member

I have never tried 6.5 and 2000 on the same box, so I don't have any personal experience with it, but based on what I have been hearing here, it should work. I have seen cases where the Performance Monitor counters "break", and perhaps that is what has happened here, but this is only a guess. Is this a test or production server? If a test, you always have the option of reinstalling the software to see if this fixes it.

I do have one more last thought, and it may not be relevant, but who knows? And that is perhaps security is causing your problem. What security models are being used in 6.5 and 2000? I would assume mixed mode for both would be best, and also, are the SQL Server service accounts for both versions of SQL Server running under an account that is a member of the local admins group?

------------------
    Brad M. McGehee
    Webmaster
    SQL-Server-Performance.Com
  9. rajoo New Member

Thank you everyone for your help.

I have SQL Authentication for both SQL Servers. I'll check the service accounts groups and see what happens.

Thanks again.