SQL Server Performance

Moving clustered databases to new LUNS

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Clustering' started by cabraun, Aug 20, 2008.

1. cabraun New Member

We need to fix an offset problem on our data LUNS on the SAN. The LUNS contain the user Databases and System Databases .MDF files and SSIS packages. Can I add the new LUNS to the cluster, shutdown SQL server, move the data to the new LUNS, rename the new LUNS to match the drive names of the old LUNS and bring up SQL without having to detach and re-attach the databases? Has anyone done this? We're running 64-bit SQL 2005 on an active/passive cluster.
  2. preethi Member

I have a question on your method: You say that you want to move data to the new LUNS. If that is what you want to do, why not try attach/detach? you do not have to shutdown the server, and it is less risky.
    SQL Server checks for the path of the files only and not the physical drives. If you can have a different set of drives with the same drive letter, I believe you an do that.
  3. preethi Member

BTW, welcome to the forum :)
  4. cabraun New Member

Thanks :) I could attach/detach but there are 39 databases on that server and I believe the SSIS jobs point to that drive as well. Also, the master and other system databases are on that drive and the procedure to move those is a little more complicated. I think changing the Drive letter would be fastest. Down time is an issue on this server. CB
  5. melvinlusk Member

I've done something similar to this before, and I think these are the steps you'll have to follow:
    1) Since your also moving the system databases, I don't think simpley detaching/attaching the DB's will work. You'll need to shut down the server.
    2) Bring the new LUN online.
    3) Assign the current LUN a new drive letter.
    4) Give the new LUN the drive letter that you were using on the previous LUN.
    5) Copy the DB files over to the new LUN.
    6) Bring SQL Server back online.
    It may be a good idea to do some maintenance afterwards, such as reindexing. Good luck!
  6. cabraun New Member

I have a Virtual cluster on which I'm going to try changing the drive letters as a you suggest. Thanks for the index advice.