SQL Server Performance

Moving up in the DB world.

Discussion in 'General Developer Questions' started by isheahan, Sep 6, 2006.

1. isheahan New Member

Hello,

I am quite familiar with using SQL 2000 as a RDBMS for asp.net and vb.net. I have used it for web applications for a considerable time now. I have never had a very large database to work with - something under 25 MB mostly. But now I have an opportunity to work with a MUCH larger DB - in the 10's of GB where performance tuning and best practices are requisite to managing the DB successfully.

I need some pointers as to where I can begin to look for answers regarding "things to look for" or tools I should be familiarizing myself with so that I can more confidently manage such a DB. Best practices, what do they look like for backing up data, pooling or caching or anything of the sort? What would be common knowledge for an individual who manages a large database as this? Should the way I post a simple query to the DB change significantly? Obviously, the more the rows in the table, the harder on the DB's performance it'll be.

I know there are many variables I've not gotten to, please ask winnowing questions so as I can be answered more thoroughly or accurately.

Thanks for your assistance,
    iSheahan
  2. Adriaan New Member

Well, you've found a complete site dedicated to performance tuning. There are many articles, plus gazillions of discussion threads.

I'd start at the site's home page and start finding stuff. Happy hunting!